[SigCHI] So, what's out there

}----Upcoming SigCHI events:---
}  We'll check out some cool videos of demos at the meeting next week
}  We'll be going on tours of labs here at UIUC doing HCI research
}  sometime soon. Expect an email from Amy on this.
}------------------------------

Hey interaction aficionados -

At the meeting, there was some interest to get a feel by example for
what Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) is all about.

Here at UIUC we have:
-UIUC Human-Computer Interaction group, http://orchid.cs.uiuc.edu
-Professor Twidale in Library Information Science (managing
information), http://alexia.lis.uiuc.edu/~twidale/
-The Human Factors and Ergonomics Society (group crosslinks Psych, LIS,
CS, Aviation, etc.),
   http://www2.uiuc.edu/ro/hfes
-Human Perception and Performance at Beckman,
http://www.beckman.uiuc.edu/research/hpp.html
-Grad student research on Human Factors,
http://www.aviation.uiuc.edu/UnitsHFD/conference/humfac03/HFC03.html

Q: So, then what is Human Factors and Ergonomics and how is it
different from Human-Computer Interaction?
A: Well, if you thought HCI was broad, HF/E dwarfs HCI. It's not
completely the case but, our interest, which is improving the
experience of people and computers, is a subset of HF/E. I can't even
succinctly describe it, so I'll have NASA describe it. Check out
http://human-factors.arc.nasa.gov/web/hf101/index.html

Here are _some_ links I	've collected to other
projects/departments/people that are major players in HCI:
-MIT Media Lab, http://www.media.mit.edu/research/
-Links to Interruptions research (a potential EOH project scope),
http://interruptions.net/
-Ben Schneiderman, http://www.cs.umd.edu/~ben/
-Steve Mann, http://www.eecg.toronto.edu/~mann/ (he's into Wearable)
-Bill Buxton, http://www.billbuxton.com/ (dabbles in everything)
-George Fitzmaurice, http://www.dgp.toronto.edu/%7Egf/research.htm
-Gestural Control of Music links (last year's EOH project hoped to
prototype ideas),
http://www.ircam.fr/equipes/analyse-synthese/wanderle/Gestes/Externe/

If anything check this out, the motherload of all things to check out
is the CS491 page from last Fall. It covered the below subtopics in
Human-Computer Interaction:
http://www-faculty.cs.uiuc.edu/~bpbailey/teaching/cs491/index.html

HCI Background and Early Systems
Animation in the      Interface
Multimedia      Learning
Information and Media Design
Gesture      Recognition
Gesture      Interfaces
Sketching
Tools for Web      Design
Web Usability
Tools for      Multimedia Design
Tangible      Interfaces
Interruptions
Awareness
Attentive Systems
Attentive System Technologies
Cognitive Modeling
Social Interfaces
Social Awareness in Collaboration      Systems
Experimental Methods
Ubiquitous Computing
Two-Handed Interfaces
Navigation      in Virtual Reality