Re: [SIGMusic] Solenoids, pics and boards

On Thu, 2007-01-25 at 22:02 -0600, baikadi@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> I talked to Wit a bit after our meeting to day. It turns out SigArch does have some pics and all the equipment for programing them. He also has a tutorial and model information that he will forward to me when he gets a chance.
> In addititon, he said that he'd stop by our meeting next week and help us figure out all we need to get started :)
>
> Also, he thinks that we should be able to get a little more pressure out of the solenoids by upping the amprage, so we'll see about trying that again next week, since I couldn't find the  power supply we had used before.
>
> See you all next week
> -Alok

Awesome. What do you mean by upping the amperage, though? Doesn't it
work that we supply a given voltage and then it draws however many amps
it draws based on its internal resistance?

Here's an overview of MIDI: (after the stuff about hex at the beginning)
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/~craig/articles/linuxmidi/misc/essenmidi.html

A physical MIDI cable has 5 wires: unused, data, shielding, +5V, and
unused. As we kinda concluded at the meeting, we don't have to worry
about any of that: we can just send it as bytes over the serial cable.

Incidentally, if we do end up having only one serial port, we can
daisy-chain the PICs together (i.e. have them copy over every byte to
serial out no matter what) and have them only respond to the appropriate
MIDI channel.

--
Jacob Lee <jelee2@xxxxxxxx>