[SIGMusic] Meeting today: EOH projects

So we've got a few ideas floating around for an EOH project. Tonight
(7:30 in the acm conference room, as always) we can talk about them and
see what seems interesting. For those who won't be able to make it, here
is what has been suggested thus far:

- Pendulum Music by Steve Reich:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendulum_Music explains what this piece is.
We could do a tabletop version of this. It's not a sophisticated
project, but it would be a cute attention-getter.

- In C by Terry Riley:
Again, yay wikipedia... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_C . We could
write a computer program that sits there doing this piece on the fly.
You can move sliders and stuff to change the number of instruments,
tempo, rate of advancement, etc. This involves a certain amount of
programming, but it could be cool.

- Musical tesla coil:
Tara Roys suggested this at the office. You can control the frequency of
the sound made by a tesla coil and thus make an instrument out of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiUlqecQKUo shows the general idea. The
catch is, of course, the hardware. There happens to be one ACMer, chris
breneman, who apparently does power electronics in his dorm room and
knows all about tesla coils, who was telling me that there actually
isn't a whole lot of circuitry involved, but the setup can be finicky
nonetheless.

- Something else:
Think of something cool and talk about it at the meeting!!

--
Jacob Lee <jelee2@xxxxxxxx>