[SIGMusic] Fwd: Undergraduate Research?

I figured I'd forward this to all of you.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Tara Roys <tlroys@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 10:57 PM
Subject: Re: Undergraduate Research?
To: RJ Marsan <rjmarsan@xxxxxxxxx>

Basically, Prof Bailey has a small research group with some money, but
he has a hard time getting undergraduates interested in HCI research.
He's had several undergraduates wander in, but they always wander back
out in a few weeks.

The HCI website is at orchid.cs.uiuc.edu, and it has a couple of
projects I bet sigMusic would be interested in.

Now, the way Prof. Baily evaluates if an undergrad is qualified for
the research is usually by inviting them to the group meetings and see
if they stick around.  This gives both the undergrad and Prof. Bailey
an idea if they are a good fit for the group.  The one group meeting I
went to involved sitting around a table while we made suggestions
about another Grad student's research.  I figure that SIGMusic might
be interested in doing HCI and in seeing if they can't get Tacci
involved in one of the reasearch projects.  You already have a good
base and a working device- now it would be interesting to do research
on it.

Can you ask if anyone in SigMusic would be interested in doing that
this summer, and I'll try to hook them up with Prof. Bailey to see if
this is workable?

-Tara