Re: [SIGMusic] Discussion: Upcoming year

This humble dude's opinions:

1) Check out http://www.android-x86.org/, where they have the x86 port of 2.2 (froyo) in development. I'm not sure if that's the same release that Intel will be chugging out for the upcoming tablets, but it still runs on a lot of hardware, and can be developed on. As RJ mentioned to me, it would be a GREAT project to make a new frontend to Android that focuses on multi-user friendliness. A ton can be done with this. And it will get popular quickly.

2) I proposed a DJ application. The problem is it'd be a lot of work, since I don't know of any OSS audio libraries that can do the skipping and time control that Traktor can do. I want to make an interface to Traktor, but that severely limits the re-usability of the code for anything else. Also, it's one more non-free software we'd rely on, which is always kind of poopy for the philosophy we have with Tacchi. We could also just move forward on the huge reactable-like application and its redesign for the new Tacchi.

Jake