Re: [SIGMusic] Android on Tacchi

Android seems ideal if you want other tablet functionality such as Internet Browsing, however I am assume you would not be able to run Ableton or Traktor and developing the interface as a plugin for either.

However, that is not necessarily a bad thing at all. Because emulating a DJ mixer would not be a very collaborative experience. If someone examing the display plays with the interface while someone is mixing, it's more likely that result would end up sounding worse as the turn off a track or the mix drops out etc. DJ interface would not necessariyl take advantage of the collaborative potential of such a large flat screen... perhaps a massive Tenorion would be more collaborative?

Here are some fun examples of this idea you can play around with:
http://wonderfl.net/c/vWpu
http://wonderfl.net/c/4WVb
http://wonderfl.net/c/qf4b

All are MIT license I believe.

Since the taachi is fairly widescreen in ratio, maybe it would display 2-3 square music grids or instruments at a time. then at the bottom or top there would be a small ribbon where you could move your hand to the left or right to pan to new instruments (colored grid squares). So you could collaborate on different isntrument tracks and edit at least 2 instruments simultaneously.

Another option could be to start with the Plasma-pong-esque graphics you built as a base. When someone touches the screen it creates fluid ripples corresponding to a sine oscillator sound wave form that create new sounds. When someone else touches the screen nearby and the ripples collide, the sine oscillators also combine and you can create different waveforms. For example a saw wave depending how many people are touching the screen at what distances apart.

Just some ideas.

-David