Re: [SIGMusic] Melody Generator

Yeah this is a good start for some info. ÂI'm actually a semi-professional musician myself and have written a fair amount of songs, so if you have more questions or want more info, just let me know. ÂOne thing that I can add now is that the intervals you have listed as "strongly consonant" (except for "+5") make up a the major chord. ÂHowever, in jazz, we use these things called minor-7 chords and many other really cool ones that sound way better than the standard major chord. ÂTo make a minor-7th, you would use 0, +2, +7, +10, +12. ÂSounds awesome, like Miles Davis. ÂAlso another main theme is that musicians don't measure in half steps, they measure in notes of a major scale (noted in your bullet list below, in parentheses). ÂNow, in a major scale there are 2 places where the next note is not a complete step (2*1/2 steps) but only a half-step. ÂThese occur b/w 3 and 4 and also 7 & 8. Â8 is the upper octave of the root (+0, in half-step notation).

For more info, just let me know, or look up any beginner jazzÂbook, which goes appropriately deep into the theory. (appropriately deep=enough to make it sound cool, without bothering with all the non-importantÂdetails that classical musicians like to argue about :-)).

+John Watson