Re: [SIGMusic] Melody Generator

Hi Joe and all,Â

Yes, that sounds like a good reference, although I am currently unfamiliar with it. ÂHowever, I am familiar to chords and the scales you mentioned. ÂI think that you can and definitely should incorporate the scales that you talked about, and maybe even some sort of selection mechanism (slider?, pull-down?) Âfor "happy" to "sad," ha as you have stated it. Â

Being a jazz musician, I can say that yes, you can use the different notes of the scale, but the ones you want to rest on are the notes of the chord. And theÂnote intervals of the chord are always the same, depending on what kind of chord you're doing. ÂAs referenced from before, there's the minor (somewhat "sad," boohoo) chord that is like the major chord but with a minor 3rd, then the major chord is always the same, etc. ÂAnd then there's the neat jazz chords, like minor third minor 7th, major 7th, stuff like that is just a normal major chord with a few modifications to make it sound sweet. Â

So apart from resting on the notes of the chord while playing around in between with the notes of the scale, you have a bigger overarching structure that is chord progression. ÂSo there you'd have a scale as sort of a base (sets the key), then chords based off of that. ÂYou would be switching from say a major chord on noteÂ1 to a major chord on note 4 to a major chord on note 5 to 4 to 2 then back to 1, or 1-4-5-4-2-1 (hang on sloopy). ÂAnyway, some are as simple as 1-5 repeating, so that might be a place to start. ÂReal complex songs switch entire keys (what scale it's based on) and all that, which also makes it soundÂinteresting, but not necessary for a simple melody. Â

I was a bit confused about your 2nd paragraph as to what you were referring to as the "relative mood of at least four or fifth different chords." ÂPlease explain what you mean by relative mood, also perhaps you meant at least four or five different cords. ÂIn this case, yeah, just do a major chord based off of one, a major chord based off of four, then one based off of 5, then back to one. ÂPretty simple but it did wonders for bob dylan and even tom petty, ...and about every punk band out there. Not that simple isn't bad, its just that there is so much more. Â

Anyway, I hope this has helped you, or at least given you more information. ÂLet me know what you find in the jazz book and if you have any questions, just email or I can meet in-person sometime after EOH is complete.

- -John Watson