[SIGMusic] Interesting project

Hi everyone,
A faculty member from Speech & Hearing has an interesting project that she needs some help with, I think it is a good fit to some of your interests.

The idea is to develop an accessible tool to alleviate the effects of tinnitus (ringing in the ears).  The process involves playing music that's been specially equalized and has some noise added to it.  After some listening to that you can actually decrease the ringing significantly.  The catch is that you can't play the same recordings over and over cause people get bored, so there's some need for real-time music generation (not too tricky, something slow and ambient is fine).  I believe she's looking for students who would be interested in coding things like that.

The end goal is a website, or a mobile app.  The idea is to make such therapy accessible to the masses.  Current tools cost in the thousands of dollars, with the proposed system anyone can walk in an internet cafe of use their cell phone and get their dose for free, so we're looking at something that can make the news as well :)

Let me know if this sounds interesting to you and I can connect you.

Thanks,
Paris