This contest consists of 5 puzzles. The puzzles will be posted to the Puzzlehack website at 8AM each day of the contest (10/13-10/17). Notice will be sent to the Puzzlehack2 Mailinglist whenever a puzzle is released. Some of the puzzles may be printed in the Daily Illini - we will make it clear when this is going to happen.
Hints and updates will be distributed through the website, and through the Puzzlehack2 Mailinglist. If you are competeing we suggest that you join the list so you can keep up to date with the contest.
The grand prizes for this contest are hidden on the University of Illinois campus. Solving the 5th puzzle will reveal the location of the grand prizes.
A smaller prize will be awarded each day to the first person to solve each puzzle.
Grand Prizes (you will need to solve all 5 puzzles to find the location):
- 1st Place: Pocket PC(s) (up to 4 depending on group size)
- 2nd Place: Awards Plaque + MS Software
- 3rd Place: Awards Plaque + MS Software
Daily prize (awarded to the first person to submit the correct answers each day):
- Your choice from a grab-bag of Microsoft products (including XBOX games and LIVE kits).
- Puzzle solutions should be submitted to email@example.com. Please include the puzzle number (1-5) in the subject, and the answer to the puzzle in the e-mail body. For more information, see the contact section.
- There are no deadlines for solving the puzzles. Prizes are awarded to the first group or individual to solve the puzzle each day and the first 3 groups or individuals to find where the grand prizes have been hidden.
- For the daily prize, 1st place is determined by the 1st group or individual to submit an e-mail containing the correct answer for any given puzzle to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For the grand prizes, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place are determined by the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd groups or individuals to find the hidden prizes.
- You do not have to correctly submit answers to the first 4 puzzles in order to be eligible for the grand prizes.
- If you are the first person to submit the correct answer to a puzzle, your name will be highlighted on the Puzzlehack website.
- There are mechanisms built into the puzzles that will regulate that you actually solve the 5th puzzle to win the contest. If you find the grand prizes without legitimately solving the 5th puzzle, we will know, and you will not win a grand prize.
- Group work is allowed, encouraged, and unregulated. However the grand prize location contains only 4 prizes, so if you work in a group bigger than 4, you'll have to figure out who gets a PocketPC.
- Puzzles may require information from other puzzles to solve. Puzzles may also require information from the Internet or another information source to solve.
- We will release solutions to all of the puzzles on Friday 10/17 at 10:00PM at the Puzzlehack roundup in 1320 DCL. They will then be released to the Puzzlehack website.
- Hints may be released as appropriate over the course of each puzzleday. Releases will happen if we find people are having significant difficulty with part or parts of a given puzzle.
- You may check your answers to any puzzle at any time by sending an e-mail to email@example.com with the puzzle number in the subject line, and your answer as the only contents of the body.
- These rules are subject to change up until the first puzzle is released.
- The managers of this contest will make the determination as to if any given answer is correct.
Further questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.